Welcome first-time homebuyers! We want to help you prepare for the homebuying process with resources,
questions first-time homebuyers have, and the actual home buying process.
What kind of home are you looking for?
Looking for your first home? Consider what kind of home will best suit your needs. Consider the size of your family, location, cost, etc. Do you want an apartment, condo, or single-family home? Make these decisions before beginning your search with a real estate agent.
I need a loan. What do I do?
Before you even start looking at homes, you should determine whether you qualify for a loan, and what size loan you qualify for. This will help you set realistic expectations for what you can actually afford. Heritage generates your loan documents for your private loan, bond for deed, credit sale, or any other type of transaction you are considering.
What Types of Loans are Available?
Fixed-Rate Mortgage: This type of loan interest remains static, therefore your monthly payments won’t change.
Adjustable-rate Mortgage: Interest rates tend to start lower. They can fluctuate with the market, making them unpredictable and sometimes risky.
Government Mortgage Programs: These programs assist qualified buyers to receive a loan through the state of Louisiana or your city. See if you qualify for any of these programs, as they can greatly assist first-time buyers in financing loans and down payments. Click here for more.
I need a loan but don't know where to start!
Contact us and we help you consolidate all necessary documents to apply. Click here to contact us.
Ready to Buy! Now what?
1. Keep in contact with us. Once you find an excellent realtor, we will communicate with all parties involved on your behalf to consolidate documents you will need.
2. Find that excellent Realtor whom you can trust to find your best-fit home.
3. Go house hunting! Consider price, location, amenities, etc.
5. Make an Offer! Sit down with your Realtor to determine what you can afford and what would be a good asking price for the house you want to buy.
6. Before you close, it is important to request a home inspection. Have experienced professionals walk the house to ensure that there aren’t any lingering problems or maintenance issues that might not be visible at first glance. You don’t want to be hit with a leaky roof or plumbing issue right after you buy!
7. Come to the closing at Heritage Title. We will work with you, your realtor, the seller, and all parties involved to consolidate documents to create a smooth closing!
Owners Coverage Comparison Chart: Policy Protection
Visit the Utility Concierge page to sign up for your Parish specific utilities. All the documents are there for you to download.
Educate yourself about property tax. Our property tax page breaks down by parish how much you will pay. Also, take into account other questions you may not have considered.
What Do Mortgages Include?
The principle is the repayment of the initial amount you borrowed from your lender (the price of your home).
Interest is a payment to the lender for the money borrowed (which ends up adding on to the total amount borrowed, or the price of your home).
Homeowner’s Insurance is a monthly payment that covers various hazards and is often subtracted from your mortgage.
Property Taxes are your annual city and parish taxes assessed on your property. They are divided by the number of mortgage payments you make in a year and are added into your mortgage.